What is a proper measure for a good scientist?

Dan Holdsworth drh92 at aber.ac.uk
Wed Feb 12 13:28:59 EST 1997

In article <C1D49E81BD3 at whealth.riv.csu.edu.au>, jwilkinson at CSU.edu.au
("Jenny Wilkinson") writes:

:
:Just a comment re: GPA - the GPA on its own doesn't tell anyone
:much. Unis don't all use standard grading scales, for example the
:uni I went to had a 1-7 scale and a GPA of 3 would mean that you had
:a terminating pass in most subjects.  To let people get a better
:idea of your ablity maybe give the range of GPA as well.

It also depends on the university.

The UK universities (when I took my BSc) worked on an older system, where
a pass in the first year was needed to get to the second year. This was a
system designed to weed out the hopeless fools in the first year; the second
year was devoted to learning, the final year to testing, and specialization.

Basically, what your degree was depended mainly on your final year.

The US system uses a longer degree course to the UK system, with a much
broader range of subjects, and a steady grading system. Whether this is
fairer or not I don't know; I'm not out to criticize Uni policy. I do know
that a degree from a UK uni is "worth" more, since the potential employer
knows that the degree is specialized, as opposed to general.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java
that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a
warning, it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Dan Holdsworth, drh92 at aber.ac.uk, ** SPAMMERS WILL BE SENT TO DEV/NULL **