Saturated and Unsaturated Fat Separation

William Tivol tivol at news.wadsworth.org
Thu Feb 13 17:38:30 EST 1997

Hamilton High Faculty (hhsmedia at iac.net) wrote:
: I have extracted fat using acetone from four types of meat.  I want to
: separate the saturated and unsaturated fats and quantitatively measure
: each.

: Does anyone know a method to do this that can be performed in a high
: school setting.

: Please either e-mail me or post on this news group.  I am using our high
: school account.

: Thank you
: Darlene Moss

Dear Darlene,
	I would use paper or thin-layer chromatography.  There are solvent
mixtures which should separate sat from unsat.  The chemicals in them are
nasty (chloroform, methanol, acetone, etc.) but not hopelessly toxic.  You
should do the procedure in a hood, and the class should be safe.  After
the separation, you can cut out the spots from the paper or scrape off the
thin layer, extract with acetone, and measure.  I don't have formulas for
solvent mixtures, but maybe some of the lipid experts will follow up.
Good luck.
				Yours,
				Bill Tivol