Q: Inaccuracies in PCR sequencing and genetic variability

Marc Robinson robinson at evomol.univ-lyon1.fr
Fri Feb 14 03:57:47 EST 1997

In article <3302D4EB.41C6 at gauss.cnrs-mrs.fr>, Daniel GAUTHERET <gauthere at gauss.cnrs-mrs.fr> writes:
>Direct sequencing of PCR products often yields sequences with many
>inaccuracies (Ns). Can we say that the position of these undefined
>nucleotides is related to actual genetic variation at these particular
>sites?

I usualy do not obtain the same inaccuracies when reading one
strand then the other, neither in reading the same strand with
two different oligos, one near and the other distant from the
concerned region. So I am not under the impression that this
has any genetic meaning.

Marc
Marc Robinson
UMR CNRS 5558 "Biometrie, Genetique, et Biologie des Populations"
Universite Claude Bernard Lyon 1
43, boulevard du 11 novembre 1918
69622 Villeurbanne cedex
France
tel : +33 4 72 44 80 00 - poste 41 43
fax : +33 4 78 89 27 19
e-mail : robinson at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr

La liberte ne s'use que quand on ne s'en sert pas.