employment as a biologist..some thoughts

Steven Pirie-Shepherd srps at galactose.mc.duke.edu
Sat Feb 15 12:15:27 EST 1997

I am a PhD level biologist, and I have a job at the moment in academia,
but I keep an eye on what happens in the job market, just to be prepared.
My observation is that the most jobs are for people with a Masters, and
experience in molecular, protein and cell biology techniques. Employers
want techniques..not ideas. PhDs are trained to have ideas, and an
agenda..Biotech companies dont want or need group leaders by the ton, they
want willing skilled, highly paid hands..if you want to live and work in
science these  days, stop at the masters level, ignore academia (old boys
club at best) and go into biotech. Just some thoughts

Steven Pirie-Shepherd	srps at galactose.mc.duke.edu
919.684.8986		919.684.8689 FAX
-=pithy phrase=-