Do sharks really not get cancer, and if not why?

James Mitchell jwmitch at rice.edu
Sat Feb 22 01:41:37 EST 1997

natural at imap1.asu.edu wrote:

> There is book entitled 'Sharks don't get cancer."  Its not too bad, but
> actually, it is due to several factors, one being they do not have
> calcium, only cartilage.  Second, they produce a compound called squalamine.
>
> -Merlin

Do you mean squaline?  It's a precurssor for some steriods and is
isolated from a shark's liver.  To my knowledge the lack of observed
cancer in sharks has never been attributed to this.  I could be wrong
though.

--
   ^-^                                         - James Mitchell
  (O O)   (713)-630-8324                       jwmitch at rice.edu
  ( v )   JIBA!            http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~jwmitch/