Help on soil analysis?

l95mn at river.tay.ac.uk l95mn at river.tay.ac.uk
Tue Feb 25 05:18:16 EST 1997

--

Hi, please could someone help me with my project on the identification of
motile bacteria in soil samples ?

I am almost at the end of my HND and need to do well in this to pass.

I have to take a soil sample and culture the bacteria within it, my lecturer
estimates it at around 100 species, then to obtain a pure culture of each of
these species.
I will need to know about identifying the species by cellular morphologyand
colonial morphology, and also an assay for motility and a method for spore
staining.

A preliminary identification of motile isolate species will need to be done
using the Burgey or API system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated such as methods, protocols, assays, or
just the names of journals in which to look.

If anyone could help please emial me direct, as our university's connection to
newsgroups is a bit temperamental and i may not be able to read replies posted
here for some while.

Thanks

Mat

        MATHEW NIGHTINGALE
     UNIVERSITY OF ABERTAY DUNDEE            "If the Lion was taught by the Fox
   e-mail:- L95MN at TAY.AC.UK                      then he would be cunning"