chicken egg osmolarity

Jenny Wilkinson jwilkinson at CSU.edu.au
Wed Feb 26 01:48:47 EST 1997

Hi,
Hope someone can help me out - we do an experiemnt in which students
use a declacified chicken's egg to look at osmosis. Egg is placed in
different solutions and the weight changes noted, this is then
related to osmolarity of the solution.  We have an eperimental
osmolarity for the contents of the egg but I was wondering if anyone
has an actual figure that we could compare with the experiemntally
derived one?  The other question was do the shell memebranes deal
differently with NaCl (comapred with mammalian cells) as we get very
variable results?

Cheers,
jenny