Deadliest Toxin?

Depree, Jonathan A depreej at lincoln.ac.nz
Tue Jan 7 09:34:14 EST 1997

In article <Pine.SOL.3.93.970103173910.5407A-100000 at nun.oit.unc.edu> jbullard at NUN.OIT.UNC.EDU (Jim Bullard) writes:
>From: jbullard at NUN.OIT.UNC.EDU (Jim Bullard)
>Subject: Re: Deadliest Toxin?
>Date: 3 Jan 1997 14:40:20 -0800

>On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Anubis Ragnarok wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I was wondering what the deadliest toxin known to man was? I am new to biology.
>>
>> -Anubis
>>
>ricin>

Close, but no cigar. Last I heard the deadliest toxin known was a neurotoxin
produced by Clostridium botulinum. Years ago I looked all this up as part of
my interest in writing (I was into spy stories at the time). I have a
reference buried somewhere.
Ricin blocks protein synthesis, botulinus toxin is an enzyme which destroys
ion channels in nerve cells (I think). The fact that botulinus toxin is so
specific is what makes it so deadly.

Jonathan Depree,
Lincoln University, P.O. Box 84, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Socrates was a famous Greek Teacher who went around giving
people advice. They killed him.   (school history howler)