Collagen Binding

iqg35600 at iqg35600 at
Tue Jan 7 14:30:16 EST 1997

"Graham Cromar/Annette Tavares-Cromar" <argiope at> wrote:

>I could be totally off-base, but, have you tried coating the plastic with
>say, albumin?  Any decent cytology reference should have a recipe for
>preparing such a solution, which was commonly used for coating glass slides
>to encourage adhesion of tissues prior to staining.

>Graham Cromar (M.Sc. Genetics, University of Guelph '92)
>argiope at

>dauerrj <dauerrj at> wrote in article
><dauerrj-2611962352520001 at>...
>> Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to make collagen stick
>> like glue to plastic?

  Just put the collagen solution into the flasks (just enough volume
to make it wet). Then remove the excess and let the flasks dry
overnight, open in a sterile place (inside a laminar flow with UV lamp
is ok). The collagen alone sticks very well on culture plastic.
  In our lab we use this technique to coat the plates with collagen I
from rat tail (extracted with acetic acid).

Laboratorio de Patologia Celular e Molecular
Departamento de Bioquimica - IQ
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro