Collagen Binding

iqg35600 at acd.ufrj.br iqg35600 at acd.ufrj.br
Tue Jan 7 14:30:16 EST 1997

"Graham Cromar/Annette Tavares-Cromar" <argiope at pathcom.com> wrote:

>I could be totally off-base, but, have you tried coating the plastic with
>say, albumin?  Any decent cytology reference should have a recipe for
>preparing such a solution, which was commonly used for coating glass slides
>to encourage adhesion of tissues prior to staining.

>Graham Cromar (M.Sc. Genetics, University of Guelph '92)
>argiope at pathcom.com

>dauerrj <dauerrj at netspace.net.au> wrote in article
><dauerrj-2611962352520001 at dialup-m2-51.melbourne.netspace.net.au>...
>> Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to make collagen stick
>> like glue to plastic?

  Just put the collagen solution into the flasks (just enough volume
to make it wet). Then remove the excess and let the flasks dry
overnight, open in a sterile place (inside a laminar flow with UV lamp
is ok). The collagen alone sticks very well on culture plastic.
  In our lab we use this technique to coat the plates with collagen I
from rat tail (extracted with acetic acid).

M.Reis

Laboratorio de Patologia Celular e Molecular
Departamento de Bioquimica - IQ
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
Brasil