Drug use by animals?

AdinaS adinas at aol.com
Tue Jan 14 15:05:45 EST 1997

mailed to A. Rose  & posted to newsgroup

In article <32DC0D41.2F07 at biologie.uni-regensburg.de>, a rose
<andreas.rose at biologie.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

= Are there any published reports of animals in the wild habitually using
= drugs (i.e. plants that contain intoxicating substances)?
=

  There are many reports of birds and mammals eating fermenting fruit, and
ths becoming "drunk."

   On a related note, I believe there have been some reports of bonobos
(aka "pygmy chimpanzees" seeking medicinal herbs -- to 'treat" physical
problems.  Perhaps someone else has some details?  I'm trying to get more
info on the bonobos myself.

- - -Adina

"What makes you think I'd do as you say?  Ani l'dodi."

Visit San Diego Mensa:  http://members.aol.com/sdmensa/