Jurrassic park

Mr. G. Morley gmorley at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Mon Jan 20 10:05:57 EST 1997

In article <5bjf18$cqo at chaos.dac.neu.edu>,
Joshua Mularella <jmularel at lynx.dac.neu.edu> wrote:
>My name is Joshua Mularella and I'm a college junior doing a research
>paper on the possibility, or lack thereof, of Jurassic Park. I have no
>idea where to begin and was wondering if any of you had any opinion on
>the matter. Your comments are greatly appreciated.
>
>J Mularella

The actual retrieval and PCR from ancient cells has been
done for specimens at least 2000 years old (mummies) I
believe (as I once upon a time applied to do a PhD in it!).
However the technology to do "Jurrasic park" stuff is way
beyond what we know at the moment.. it is also unecassary..
for example in a hundred years or so when all of the
genomes of most of the higher vertebrates have been sequenced
(and how the protiens they make interact to form organisms)
there will be no need to use "fossilised" DNA.
We could simply look at the animal we were trying to make
and "piece together" the necessary genes that we would need
from contemporary animals. True, these creatures would be
copies and not the originals so to speak, but as I can't
really see the point in doing it in the first place I don't
think it's that important.
 What *would* be a good thing in my opinion would be to bring
back some of the more contemporary organisms that have been
lost to the environment due to humans wiping them out...
whales, dodo's that sort of stuff ... and as many of these
lost organisms probably reside in sperm or ovum banks currently
it would be a lot easier..
 My apologies if this letter drivels on a bit...
good look with the paper. In brief the technology for doing
jurrassic park (if it's possible at all) is way beyond us at
ppresent :(
Gary Morley
gmorley at rpms.ac.uk

The opinions i express are my own and not that of my
department, employers or the inhabitants of Easter island.