Parthenogenesis

Laurie Davison ldavison at pop.uky.edu
Wed Jan 22 08:51:10 EST 1997

Hi,
   I was going through some literature on mating behavior and came
accross a reference to the "parthenogenic whiptail lizard". Apparantly
the females can lay eggs which will develop without fertilization (all
offspring, obviously, are female). In some of my earlier courses in
college I was taught that rabbits have this same potential, but found
later that this was not true after all.
   The Whiptail lizard example is in a book published in the mid-eighties
by Kevles and I wondered if this information were still considered
accurate, or whether like the rabbit, it was found to be untrue? For that
matter, can anyone give me any other examples of *known* parthenogenic
animals? Just curious, really. Thanks:)

Laurie