Event Horizon: exploring science and the humanities

akbari at eden.rutgers.edu akbari at eden.rutgers.edu
Tue Jan 28 17:42:00 EST 1997

ANNOUNCING

EVENT HORIZON

a new interdisciplinary journal in the arts
and sciences

Science and technology have transformed our
world and brought new ways of manipulating
our environment, communicating with each
other, and solving complex problems.  But
with these transformations have come new
problems and unanswered questions about the
work of science and technology.  Investigations
into these questions have pitted academics
from various disciplines against one another.
Scientists accuse cultural critics of theorizing
irresponsibly, of misunderstanding the
process of scientific review, of even denying
that objective knowledge exists. Cultural
critics accuse scientists of being blind to the
social implications of their research and its
use by big government and big business.  The
recent _Social Text_ imbroglio has offered a
vivid portrait of the duel between what C. P.
Snow termed the “Two Cultures.”  But in the
face of a general decline in scientific
knowledge and an alarming erosion of public
support for academic research of any kind,
hasn’t the time come for mutual
understanding?

EVENT HORIZON is an interdisciplinary forum
for researchers and writers in the sciences
and humanities.  In each issue, we will
consider a topic of broad interest.  The journal
intends to create dialogue between fields that
all too rarely interact.

EVENT HORIZON invites contributions from
the natural and physical sciences, medicine,
computer science, engineering, social science,
history, literary and cultural studies, and the
arts.  Each issue will feature a variety of
essays, book and film reviews, and a simple
and relevant science experiment.

EVENT HORIZON will foster shared creative
and critical exploration.  Articles will be
printed with responses, contributors will be
asked to publicly correspond with colleagues
from other disciplines, and panel discussions
will be arranged.  Disagreement will be
encouraged; name-calling will not.  We all
need to learn more.

EVENT HORIZON is planning its first issue on
one of several topics: behavior and genetics;
genetic screening; changing patterns of
science funding; scientific literacy;
relativism and objectivity.  One-page
proposals that address these topics are
requested by 17 February 1997 and
manuscripts by 31 March 1997.  The
inaugural  issue of the journal is planned for
late Spring 1997.

EVENT HORIZON needs contributors, referees
and readers, and curiosity.  Please contact:

EVENT HORIZON
c/o Thomas Akbari and Don Fallon
Department of Literatures in English
Murray Hall, CAC