"gene within a gene" ex. in Higher Euk ?

Jerry Learn learn at valis.microbiol.washington.edu
Sun Jul 13 14:57:36 EST 1997

In article <33C5596A.6782 at biovax.rutgers.edu>, jzhang at ORYX.RUTGERS.EDU
(Lab) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone supply an example (with reference if possible) of a
> "gene within a gene" structure (either strand) in the genome of
> a higher eukaryote?
>
> No one I've spoken to can supply an example, but everyone
> (including me) is pretty sure they've seen examples.

Jeff,

This may not be what you are looking for since it is from plastid genomes
(There is strong evidence that plastid genomes are derived from
photosynthetic prokaryotes).  There is a maturase protein (matK) encoded
within an intron in the lysine tRNA gene in most (all?) higher plant
plastid genomes.
_____

Jerry Learn

Research Associate

Dept. of Microbiology             | Learn at u.washington.edu
University of Washington          | Phone: (206) 616-4286
Box 357740                        |
Seattle, WA  98195-7740  USA      |   FAX: (206) 616-1575