absurd and gross question

Jon Wagner jwagner at No-Spam.leland.stanford.edu
Mon Jun 2 02:46:40 EST 1997

<disclaimer>
If you don't want to waste your time with a simple "I wonder" type
question from a novice, just skip this now and save both of us the
trouble of you complaining about it.
</disclaimer>

A few friends and I have been discussing the possibility of swallowing
a string (inert fiber?..) and allowing the human digestion system to
pull it all the way through.

We WOULD NOT try this. I repeat, we would NEVER try this.

We think it is an interesting question which I think human biology
experts may be able to answer.

Here's our logic. People swallow pennies and they are pulled all the
way through.  So tie a very skinny fiber to a pill sized object and
let it go through the system. I've heard that fiber optic cables can
be insterted from either end of the digestive system and fed half way
through, so shouldn't it be possible to thread something much thinner
all the way through?

I'd love to hear why or why not this would work. Besides the obvious
answers of the fiber slicing up the intestine walls.

please post answers to this group rather than via email.
bye-
jon