Little respect for doctors

ORAC dgorski at x-site.net
Tue Jun 17 09:25:18 EST 1997

In article <33a91135.4787369 at snews.zippo.com>, jenrun at super.zippo.com
(Rauni) wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Jun 1997 09:52:34 -0400, lha~@med.pitt.edu (Lou Alarcon)
>wrote:

>>The solution is simple.  If you don't like or trust doctors, don't see them.
>>When you get cancer, pneumonia, have a stroke, or a bad car accident,
just stay home.
>>Drink some herbal tea.  You'll save yourself and all of us money (since
that's what you're interested in).  The best part is that you won't
contribute to the gene pool. Have a nice life!

>So let me tell you what happened to me when I had atypical pneumonia
>and had to be hospitalized.

[Anecdote about a bad experience with doctors during an illness deleted.]

For every anecdote you give me about uncaring arrogant doctors, I can give
you one about doctors who go above and beyond the call of duty each and
every day and are completely unappreciated by many of their patients for
it.

For every anecdote about idiot doctors treating patients poorly, I can
probably give you ten about idiot patients who got into trouble because
they ignored symptoms, didn't take medications as directed, never showed
up for follow-up appointments, despite many attempts to reach them by
phone and letter.

For every anecdote you give about a doctor being abusive to a patient, I
can give you several about patients being verbally abusive, or even
threatening, to a doctor.

Anecdotes mean little or nothing in theses kinds of discussions. I'm sorry
you had a bad experience, but trying to generalize it proves little. All
your story tells me is that you should find another doctor and maybe that
you should find another medical institution to work in!

--
MY E-MAIL ADDRESS HAS BEEN SURGICALLY ALTERED TO HINDER SPAM TO ME.
TO GET AT MY REAL E-MAIL ADDRESS, DELETE THE HYPHEN!

ORAC                        |"A statement of fact cannot be
a.k.a.                      | insolent."   ORAC
David H. Gorski, M.D., Ph.D.|
Department of Surgery       |
University of Chicago       |