Little respect for doctors

cheetles cheetles at westol.com
Thu Jun 19 01:27:31 EST 1997

ORAC wrote:

> In article <33A40397.6DFB at westol.com>, cheetles <cheetles at westol.com> wrote:
>
> >Sheldon C.Y. Li wrote:

> >> Do we have a case of doctor bashing here?
> >
> >I only get upset when I as a tech am treated as an idiot by a doctor
> >with an attitude...I would like to be treated as the professional that I
> >am....an I have noticed in my career that MANY residents are idiots.
>
> As a doctor myself, I have noticed that many techs are idiots too. So are
> many nurses, many residents, and ward clerks. On the flip side, there are
> also many fantastic techs, residents, nurses, and ward clerks, too. In
> fact, you can say the same things about human *beings* in general.
>
> So what's your point?
>
> --
> MY E-MAIL ADDRESS HAS BEEN SURGICALLY ALTERED TO HINDER SPAM TO ME.
> TO GET AT MY REAL E-MAIL ADDRESS, DELETE THE HYPHEN!
>
> ORAC                        |"A statement of fact cannot be
> a.k.a.                      | insolent."   ORAC
> David H. Gorski, M.D., Ph.D.|
> Department of Surgery       |
> University of Chicago       |

This is true...I know many *GREAT* doctors..even ones who even go as far
as treat me as an equal....ACTUALLY, it seems in face to face contact
and over the telephone....I find that no matter how well I try to treat
others, I get the least respect and consideration from nurses...AND THIS
IS NOT A CASE OF NURSE BASHING EITHER...I could have been a nurse, but I
really don't think I could have handled all the patient contact.

Where I work, it seems that many nurses and even certain doctors are
permitted to verbally abuse us techs by yelling and using using
profanity and it's "okay"...well, I say it is NOT, and I personally
continue to remain professional even when I am treated like trash by
someone who is throwing a temper tantrum, BUT I do not let them get the
best of me either and make sure that they understand that...I refuse to
talk to anyone who can not speak to me in a professional manner and have
made this known without ever being approached by my superiors as a
result.

Times are tough lately and it gets everyone uptight with short fuses,
but can we all remember to treat everyone as we ourselves would care to
be treated...with dignity and respect?  I return respect when I receive
it.