Sources of antibiotic resistance (was Re: Little respect for doctors)

ORAC dgorski at x-site.net
Fri Jun 20 09:02:28 EST 1997

In article <33A9CF62.ABC87B76 at charlie.cns.iit.edu>, Jason Moser
<mosejas at charlie.cns.iit.edu> wrote:

>Lest we not forget one other source of antibiotic resistance: Many of my
>foreign friends have told me that they can readily buy antibiotics at
>home. After all, if we are one of the only countries actively
>controlling antibiotic prescriptions then it will only slow down the
>rate of increase in antibiotic resistance among microorganisms here.
>Consider how easy worldwide travel is - not to mention that the US is
>one of the top travel destinations.
>
>Given the rate that these organisms reproduce, it is clear we will need
>to find new antibiotics - literally until the end of time.

I was unaware that antibiotics were available over the counter in other
countries. I note that some very wimpy antibiotics are available over the
counter here, mainly in the form of creams or gels containing neosporin or
erythromycin, but very little else.

--
MY E-MAIL ADDRESS HAS BEEN SURGICALLY ALTERED TO HINDER SPAM TO ME.
TO GET AT MY REAL E-MAIL ADDRESS, DELETE THE HYPHEN!

ORAC                        |"A statement of fact cannot be
a.k.a.                      | insolent."   ORAC
David H. Gorski, M.D., Ph.D.|
Department of Surgery       |
University of Chicago       |