Sources of antibiotic resistance (was Re: Little respect for doctors)

Gary Lum glum at
Sat Jun 21 22:57:29 EST 1997

Steven B. Harris wrote:

> >I was unaware that antibiotics were available over the counter in
> other
> >countries. I note that some very wimpy antibiotics are available over
> the
> >counter here, mainly in the form of creams or gels containing
> neosporin or
> >erythromycin, but very little else.

>    You should visit Mexico for a pharmacological education.  Of course,
> it isn't *all* other countries that are the problem here.  But many in
> South America have just about all antibiotics OTC.

...and the countires with the biggest resistance problems like Spain and
South Africa have OTC antimicrobials.  When I was in Zambia it was known
that rifampicin could be purchased "OTC" or via black market.  Thus the
need to restrict antimicrobial use to sensible indications.

Dr Gary Lum
Director of Microbiology and A/Director of Pathology
Royal Darwin Hospital

Microbiologists do it with culture and sensitivity
Meet me at
E-mail me at mailto:glum at,gary.lum at