Sources of antibiotic resistance (was Re: Little respect for doctors)

Dag Stenberg stenberg at cc.Helsinki.FI
Sun Jun 22 09:30:34 EST 1997

In bionet.general ORAC <dgorski at> wrote:
> In article <33A9CF62.ABC87B76 at>, Jason Moser
> <mosejas at> wrote:
> >Lest we not forget one other source of antibiotic resistance: Many of my
> >foreign friends have told me that they can readily buy antibiotics at
> >home. After all, if we are one of the only countries actively
> >controlling antibiotic prescriptions ...

> I was unaware that antibiotics were available over the counter in other
> countries. I note that some very wimpy antibiotics are available over the
> counter here, mainly in the form of creams or gels containing neosporin or
> erythromycin, but very little else.

I hear that antibiotics are sold over the counter even in Southern Europe.
Here in Northern Europe the situation is as in the US.

Dag Stenberg
Dag Stenberg     MD PhD                    stenberg at
Institute of Biomedicine		   tel: int.+358-9-1918532
Department of Physiology                   fax: int.+358-9-1918681
P.O.Box 9        (Siltavuorenpenger 20 J)
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki,Finland