Little respect for people who stereotype doctors

ORAC dgorski at x-site.net
Sat Jun 21 23:32:06 EST 1997

In article <01bc7cd0$e180fce0$0ac8c8c0 at jones>, "Patrick R. Jones"
<jonespr at fia.net> wrote:

>I tried to resist the urge to do this but the temptation is to great.
>Stereotypes aren't fair or even correct most of the time. They do however
>tell us about the impression that others have about a group. Impressions
>can be more powerful and telling than any truth. Doctors have a bad
>reputation, as you can see by the posts. Maybe they should be analyzing the
>complaints rather than defending their perfection. If there are doctors who
>understand this and are trying to correct the problem (and I am sure there
>are); you might want to try something else because what you are doing is
>not working.  Please remember that it was your choice to become a doctor,
>and I applaud you because I know that it requires a lot of dedication and
>sacrifice, but real patients do not choose to need your help. So if you
>don't like the way things are quit your complaining and "Physician heal thy
>self".

So I suppose that your solution to those who stereotype blacks, or
Hispanics, or people who live in trailer parks, or working class people,
etc., etc. would be to suggest that these people analyze the stereotype
instead of defending themselves or trying to counter the stereotype?

--
MY E-MAIL ADDRESS HAS BEEN SURGICALLY ALTERED TO HINDER SPAM TO ME.
TO GET AT MY REAL E-MAIL ADDRESS, DELETE THE HYPHEN!

ORAC                        |"A statement of fact cannot be
a.k.a.                      | insolent."   ORAC
David H. Gorski, M.D., Ph.D.|
Department of Surgery       |
University of Chicago       |