Phylogenetic studies

Sean Eddy eddy at
Wed Jun 25 10:26:30 EST 1997

In article <01bc800f$197209a0$0b0a0a0a at> "Laboratorio de Internet" <Cuenta2 at> writes:
  >I am looking for information related to phylogenetic methods in order to
  >make human paternity testing. We'd like to receive information about simple
  >methods which could be carried out in a high-school laboratory provided
  >with a PCR equipment(we are not able to sequence DNA fragments) and we can
  >only detect PCR products by agarose gel electrophoresis and ethidium
  >bromide staining.

I trust you're planning to use anonymous DNA samples, and not planning
to have the students test their own paternity. In U.S. populations, I
understand that something like 5-10% of children have different
paternity than they think. Not the kind of surprise one wants to learn
in high school genetics.

- Sean Eddy, Ph.D.
- Dept. of Genetics, Washington University School of Medicine
- 660 S. Euclid Box 8232, St. Louis MO 63110, USA
- mailto://