Opinions requested - O2 in molecular graphics

Stuart Priest priest at yorvic.york.ac.uk
Thu Jun 26 05:32:02 EST 1997

Robert Tan wrote:

> I would like your opinion on the Silicon Graphics entry level workstation
> - O2 R10000SC System. There is no mention of the graphics subsystem, so
> where does it stand in relation to SI, SSI and MXI? Does anyone with
> practical experience of these system have a feel for the relative speeds
> in molecular graphics.
>
> Also I have an Indigo-2/Extreme on which I am running Sybyl and Quanta.
> Again does anyone have any practical experience to compare these
> applications running on a Indigo-2/Extreme with the O2 R10000SC and with
> SI and SSI systems?
>
> Thanks. Email replies will be very much appreciated.
>
> --
> Robert K.-Z. Tan -- E-mail: tan at neptune.cmc.uab.edu -- Phone: (205)934-0580

You can build your own very easily from
http://www-europe.sgi.com/Products/hardware/desktop/products/benchmarks/index.html

You need to consider what kind of graphics you want to do.  If you want
to do lots of nice textured molecular surfaces, then you should get an
Indigo^2 or Octane with maximum impact graphics.  However, if you will
be just doing electron density fitting then an O2 will be fine (and
alright for abit of texture work).

Stu
--
Stuart Priest, Computer Manager, Tel. 44 1904 432592
Protein Structure Group, University of York, UK  FAX 44 1904 410519
InPerson  : priest at heffalump.chem.york.ac.uk