Controlling Spam

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at NET.BIO.NET
Fri Jun 27 14:20:28 EST 1997

Stanford University Libraries took over management of the Biosci
usenet groups on the weekend of June 6.  Since then we have been
working out the operational and administrative details that accompany
the change in management and the physical location of the hardware. In
the very near future we are planning to consult with users in the
Biosci community about what additional services and features would be
valuable to them.  At this time, however, I want to let the Biosci
community know that we are working full time to stop the flood of
obscene and commercial spam into our unmoderated groups.

One solution is to transform unmoderated groups into moderated groups.
At the moment, we have a backlog of unmoderated groups which have
sufficient volunteer energy to make this a viable option; for these
groups, we will immediately start down the path of changing them into
moderated groups.

In addition, we are also looking for more automatic and more efficient
techniques for keeping spam out of our newsgroups. Since the spam
problem is not unique to the biosci usenet group, we are consulting
with other usenet administrators about solutions which are technically
sound as well as consistent with the usenet philosophy and the
scientific purposes of our forums.  I welcome your suggestions.

In the meantime, I hope you will bear with us as we try to deal with
this problem.

Serge Taylor
BIOSCI/bionet Manager