university shows academic weaknesses

Sat Mar 1 10:44:08 EST 1997

On 1 Mar 1997, William Bains wrote:

< prev. snipped >

> It depends why Prof. Silver was wrong, and why the Scottish group
> succeeded. If Prof Silver had based his whole book on a premise that was
> not only wrong but also provably silly, then perhaps he or she is not the
> right person to supervise graduate students, have research grants etc. If
> he or she just said "it seems very unlikely that cloning technology will
> extend to cloning adult animals", then, hey, it -was- very unlikely. It
> proved very difficult.
>
> I do not understand why Dr. Berezin says that this is like cold fusion.
> The cold fusion story was embraced with the same skepticism as the idea of
> cloning aduly mammals. "I won't believe it until you do it" was the
> general response. And the two researchers, and half a dozen other groups
> around the world, could not do it. They simply could not get the original
> experiments to work again. So the scientific community said "I don't
> believe it." The difference with Dolyl the Cloned Sheep is that she is
> walking around, being very believable.

There are similarities and  differences between both
stories, the main (difference) is that unless the
Cloned story collapses in withing a year, Walmut (sp ?)
is travelling to Stockholm this October, while
Poons and Fleishmannn missed a trip by just a few months.

It is difficult (perhaps impossible) to predict how
the Sheep story develope. Stocks may go up or may reverse.
Cases of the latter do exist. If you don't like cold
fusion analogy, take High-TC (High Temperature
Suerconductivity). Almost all enthusiasm of 1986 is
by now gone and on a net count we don't have too
much. Good luck to Dr. Walmuth, best health to Dolyl !

Alex Berezin