A Radiation Tale: Was: Re: Magnetic Effects

William R. Penrose wpenrose at interaccess.com
Tue Mar 4 09:26:07 EST 1997

In article <01bc2836$3cfba100$257e5acf at rhonda> "Adam Reed" <arreed at erinet.com> writes:

>> Idiot.  Idiot, idiot, idiot.

There you go again, UncleAl, berating the little people for not being as smart
as you.  Remember that 99.99% of the people in the world are not as smart as
you and I.  You can destroy one, but you can't destroy them all, so you have
to tolerate them.  They run everything.

I have a nice story about radiation.  Once at a not-to-be-named national lab
of my acquaintance, a man touched an old sealed tube of plutonium, which was
under a lot of helium pressure from alpha decay, and it exploded.  He inhaled
a little of the Pu, and was immediately whisked through the health physics
procedures, long-term urine measurement and whole-body scanning, etc.  They
found minute traces in him.

Afterward, there was a prolonged investigation involving two return trips to
Washington.  My friend in health physics calculated that the man received ten
times more radiation during the four airline trips than he received from the
plutonium exposure.

Bill

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you've
got his shoes."  (A. Landers)
Bill Penrose, President, Custom Sensor Solutions, Inc.
526 West Franklin Avenue, Naperville, IL 60540
630-548-3548, fax: 630-369-9618
email wpenrose at interaccess.com