From sheep to Human?

taguebw at wfu.edu taguebw at wfu.edu
Wed Mar 5 06:47:41 EST 1997

Susan Hogarth wrote:

> taguebw at wfu.edu wrote:
> >
> > Susan Hogarth wrote:

> > > Oops - I was just being a smartass, but you're right. She'd be giving
> > > birth to a *copy* of herself. So what? I was trying to be funny;
> > > obviously I failed ;-)
> >
> > Since when is sexism funny?
> >
> > Brian
>
> Is this some sort of subtle joke? If not, I pity you, you poor child of
> the 90's...
> ... lighten up, eh?
> ;-)

First, my apologies for what has become at off-topic post.

Second, no my comment was not a joke. I want you to consider what
would happen if a male had posted a similar comment about women being
superfluous. He would be hung out to dry. If sexism is bad to practice
it is bad for anybody to practice. I've heard men making comments in
bad taste, followed by a wink to make it all better and then when the
women within earshot got indignant, saying "lighten up, it was only a
joke." I did not think that was appropriate behavior either. I have
been arguing for the equal rights and treatment of women for over 25
years because it seems to me it should lead to equal rights and
treatment of everybody: male, female, majority, minority, old, young.
If you don't understand why your comment was inappropriate, then I
pity you.

A child of the '60's....
Brian