sequence motifs on antisense strand

Martin Offterdinger a8803349 at unet.univie.ac.at
Mon Mar 10 04:53:23 EST 1997

Dear Collegues
Presently I am doing sequence analysis on some promoters using a
computer program. I find several motifs including SP1, AP1,AP2 sites
etc.. Some are found on the sense strand and some on the antisense
strand of the DNA . Now my question: Does it have biological
significance if the motif is situated on the antisense strand or not??
I think that antisense motifs are not completely nonsense because the
transcripiton factors do not "know" to which strand they bind. On the
other hand what will be the consequences for transcription if the
factors are bound to the antisense strand??
I am looking forward to your comments on this !!!
Thank you very much
Martin