Pinnipeds or Carnivores? Help!

Ilya G. Meschersky hedgehog at orc.ru
Mon Mar 10 14:50:33 EST 1997

The taxonomic status of Pinnipeds (Pinnipedia) is unclear. The group is
regarded as an independent order or as a suborder of Carnivores
(Carnivora) order in papers of different authors and in different years.
 Could someone tell me: which of the two viewpoints is accepted by the
most of zoologists (and/or is  "formally accepted" to be "right") at
present? I also would be very appreciate for 1-2 "main" references.
 I need to know it for my popular lecture.
 As I don't have a permanent access to newsserver, please, answer to
private mail.
 Thanks in advance. Ilya Meschersky <hedgehog at orc.ru>