Cloning Humans

William Tivol tivol at news.wadsworth.org
Mon Mar 24 18:24:28 EST 1997

Ralph Gainey (sesame at MCN.ORG) wrote:

: It has not been shown that generosity, compassion, understanding,
: forgiveness, patience, and other desirable traits in humans are amenable
: to genetic transmission...would that it were...would that it were...

	OTOH, Jacob Bronowski in The Ascent of Man reasons that man, like
other social primates, is evolving toward the traits you mention.  If he
was right (and I think he was), these desirable traits are amenable to ge-
netic transmission, and are adaptive, thus, selected for.  Of course, I am
very optimistic, but I think that a culture which maximizes cooperation--
which would follow from the characteristics listed--would far outperform
less cooperative cultures.  Time will tell (unless the planet is struck by
an asteroid beforehand).
				Yours,
				Bill Tivol