histidine metal chelating

Rajesh Krishnamurthy krishnam at umbc.edu
Mon Mar 24 16:21:29 EST 1997

On 24 Mar 1997, Kathleen Blackwell wrote:

> Given a complex nitrogen source with various peptides in solution, would
> digesting to various levels of free amino acids lead to a solutions with better
> metal chelating properties as the levels of free amino acids rises? My thinking
> is that higher levels of free histidine would chelate metals better than
> histidine bound in peptides, mostly for steric reasons. Any thought? TIA

It might work for most of the cases, but the same steric reasons might
enable multiple histidine peptides to bind better. In one of Frances
Arnold's papers they are able to show that the His-X-X-X-His arrangement
binds the strongest to metal.

In short, I think that the answer to your question has to vary depending
on the peptide fragment and one cannot always assume that free histidine
binds better.

My 2 cents worth

Rajesh

Rajesh Krishnamurthy