storing antibodies

Phillip E. Schwartz schwartz at bioreagents.com
Thu Mar 27 17:21:13 EST 1997

Dear John,

Several antibody storage strategies are documented and, in most cases, will work
with most antibodies. One should determine, on a small scale, whether a particular
antibody has a stability issue. For example, I recently discovered that an epitope
affinity-purified polyclonal IgG stored in the presence of BSA fails to bind
antigen after a single freeze-thaw cycle yet the total, unpurified IgG fraction
immunoblots perfectly after numerous freeze-thaw cycles. Here are some storage
conditions I have used with good results.

1. Sterile-filtered crude antisera with 0.05% Na Azide at 4 C for 1-2 years; -80 C
almost indefinately.

2. Ammonium sulfate ppt. IgG slurry at -20/-80 C almost indefinately.

3. Crude ascites or purified IgG from ascites at -20 C/-80 C almost indefinately.

4. Affinity-purified IgG with at least 1 mg/ml BSA at -20 C/-80 C almost
indefinately.

5. Antibody 'working stock' with 50% glycerol at -20 C for 6 mo-2 years.

I hope this is useful to you. Please contact me with additional questions.

Phillip E. Schwartz
Antibody Partnership Project Manager
Affinity BioReagents, Inc.
14818 W. 6th Ave., Suite 13A