question on cloning

glover martin gwmartin at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 27 21:19:13 EST 1997

Humphreys (tama727 at rmii.com) wrote:
: I hope that I am posting this in the right newsgroup, but I have a
: question that I had hoped someone could help me with concerning
: cloning. If we do develop the technology to clone humans, could
: diseases that are not hereditary be passed to the clone? From what I

I can imagine that a donor cell could have undergone genetic changes which
might result in disease for the clone.  These changes would not be
manifested in the donor organism if, for example, it were in a "silent"
region of DNA.

: understand, the clone and the person the genetic material was taken
: from would be more similar than identicle twins. Obviously, diseases
: such as diabetes could be passed on, but I wonder about ones that
: aren't hereditary.

: Thanks