question on cloning

Yigong Lou y0l327a at vms1.tamu.edu
Sat Mar 29 11:30:44 EST 1997

Humphreys wrote:

> I hope that I am posting this in the right newsgroup, but I have a
> question that I had hoped someone could help me with concerning
> cloning. If we do develop the technology to clone humans, could
> diseases that are not hereditary be passed to the clone? From what I
> understand, the clone and the person the genetic material was taken
> from would be more similar than identicle twins. Obviously, diseases
> such as diabetes could be passed on, but I wonder about ones that
> aren't hereditary.
>
> Thanks

There are certain viral diseases, such as those of the Herpes complex,
in which the viral DNA is integrated into the genome of the host.  This
may not happen in all of the host cells, but, depending on the source of
the DNA from the donor, it may be possible to pass on a Herpes-type
virus to the clone in this manner.