Capparis spinosa

Sean A. O'Hara saouc at
Tue Oct 7 15:39:33 EST 1997

I know this plant has been discussed periodically on the Medit-Plants
discussion group.  If there is interest, I will compile the posts to
that group from our archives (unavailable online).
 Sean A. O'Hara                     sean.ohara at
 710 Jean Street                    (510) 987-0577
 Oakland, California 94610-1459     h o r t u l u s   a p t u s
 U.S.A.                             'a garden suited to its purpose'
 Ask me about the worldwide Mediterannean gardening discussion group
 *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *
> Hello,
> please help me with the following question:
> When / in which months are capers harvested (I need Capparis Spinosa,
> the one which is growing in the Mediterranian (e.g. ___Malta___,Italy)?
> I have tried to find information in Encyclopedias, but somehow this is
> never being mentioned. If possible for you it would be very nice if
> you'd also have some general information on Capers, nothing special,
> just where they grow etc... (the basics).
> Thanks a lot
> Jeremy

can't figure out yur address ... this is quick and dirty from a
Metacrawler search:

CRFG Publications 1969-1989 Index - C
Cocoa CACHIMAN See Rollinia CACTI Cacti for Fruit. By Ian
Hartland. 1971 #4, pp 12-14 Edible Fruited Cacti. By Helen
(Literature cite)

Capparis spinosa
A distinctive coastal variant with pendent branches, somewhat
succulent leaves, and stipular spines absent or caducous at an
early stage, is probably more widespread as a natave plant
(var. Al Bl Co Cr Ga Gr Hs It Ju Lu Rs(K) Sa Si Found: S.Spain
Date: 23-May-93 Flora Europea:1-259 Literatuur: Notes:
Culivation in S.Spain. Needed: more pictures Pictures:
A.Voswinkel, The Netherlands email:.

NewCROP: Index to Food and Feed Crops
Crops are listed alphabetically by genus and common name.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z Cabbage Cabbage,

Capparis spinosa L.

Caper bush, cappero, Kapper, alcapparra

Source: Magness et al. 1971

The caper-bush is a spiny, straggling vine-like shrub, up to 3 feet,
with round to ovate, deciduous leaves. The capers of commerce are the
unopened flower buds, which are picked daily. The youngest buds make
the finest product. The buds are pickled in strong vinegar, and used
as pickles or in sauce. Capers are produced commercially in
Mediterranean countries, but not, so far as known, in the U.S.