Is giant "bugs" possible??

Hauk Langlo Hauk.Langlo at stud.hivolda.no
Fri Sep 5 14:37:20 EST 1997

Hello. If I'm not wrong, this is a forum for all kind of people with
more or less knowledge in different aspects of biology. Before I ask my
question, I would like say that I have absolutely NO education or
experience with biology, so please dont laugh to my question.

    I know that insects and arachnids could be unbelievable big in
prehistoric times. I know that these creatures are prevented from
growing bigger than today due to limited amounts of oxygen in the air. I
also know that some of these insects have been altered by virtually no
genetic evolution ever since then.
    What if those days environment (oxygen, moist, temperature, light,
etc.) was simulated in a huge tank or something? (The oxygen level and
temperature could even be raised above the "30 000 000 BC" standard. And
the availability of healthy food should also been taken care of, maybe
spiced up by steroids or other interesting chemicals). Would insects and
arachnids grow up to be the same gigantic beasts as they once where????
(Up to 50 cm.)

I guess that some boring realities makes the answer a "NO way!". But
anyway, I would appreciate a comment from anyone who knows a bit about
these things. It was just an idea that popped up one of these days, and
I am just curious about the whole thing.

Regards:
Hauk "Frankenstein" Langlo
Hauk.Langlo at stud.hivolda.no
(an ordinary man totally without any biology knowledge whatsoever)