Why do people abuse these newsgroups?

Randy Pulsifer pulsif94 at potsdam.edu
Mon Sep 8 09:05:44 EST 1997

   I am a Biology/Secondary Education Major at a SUNY college in the state
of New York.  I am currently taking a course in Media and Technology as it
applies to teaching in the classroom.  We began studying newsgroups today,
and since I am a bio major, I thought that "bionet.general" sounded
interesting just to look in to see what other people around the country
and the world were saying.
   As I was scrolling down the list of postings, I was struck by the
number of advertisements ("Earn Extra Ca$h!!") for things totally
unrelated to biology, and even worse things ("Hot XXX Sites!").
   I realize that like all technology, it can hurt as well as benefit.  My
only hope is that if you (the reader) are one of those advertisers, please
kkep your advertisements off of newsgroups that are not oriented to
advertisements.