What's a schmoo?

Colin Martel cmartel at generation.net
Wed Sep 17 17:10:05 EST 1997

Here is a simple question originally published in "The Challenge of
Genetics" Grossfield and Simon, 1971:

A wild-type female schmoo who is graceful (G) is mated to a
non-wild-type male who is gruesome (g). Their progeny consist solely
of graceful males and gruesome females. Interpret these results and
give the genotypes of the parents and the offspring.

It's irrelevant to the question but I can't find what a schmoo is.
Before I search anymore, I'd at least like to know if it's a real
animal. Anyone has a clue? Or better, a picture? (now that would be