What's a schmoo?

taguebw at REMOVEwfu.edu taguebw at REMOVEwfu.edu
Thu Sep 18 12:22:23 EST 1997

In article <Pine.D-G.3.93.970918091641.10696E-100000 at necc.mass.edu>,
mkolotila at necc.mass.edu (Michael Kolotila x3644) wrote:

> Hi Colin;
>   If I remember correctly a schmoo was a creature in the L'il Abner
> cartoon strip.  It was a long time ago, so my memory may be faulty.  They
> looked like elongated marshmellows if I remember correctly.
>  Michael

Based on the L'il Abner creature, schmoo was also used to refer the
morphology of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae when it is treated with
mating factor. A picture of yeast schmoo's and Al Capp schmoo's can be
found on p. 833 of Albert's et al., Molecular Biology of the Cell....