What's a schmoo?

Jan Steffen j.steffen at mail.uni-wuerzburg.de
Thu Sep 18 13:32:00 EST 1997

Colin Martel wrote:

> Here is a simple question originally published in "The Challenge of
> Genetics" Grossfield and Simon, 1971:
>
> A wild-type female schmoo who is graceful (G) is mated to a
> non-wild-type male who is gruesome (g). Their progeny consist solely
> of graceful males and gruesome females. Interpret these results and
> give the genotypes of the parents and the offspring.
>
> It's irrelevant to the question but I can't find what a schmoo is.
> Before I search anymore, I'd at least like to know if it's a real
> animal. Anyone has a clue? Or better, a picture? (now that would be
> impressive).

I think Shmoo is an scientific-slang-word for a yeast-cell in a certain
stage.

The normally rounded cell becomes a bit elongatet (like a bowling pin),
when looking for a partner for mating. The cell shape resembles to the
comic figure "Peter Schmoo" mentioned in other messages in this thread.

BTW, I am not sure if  the words male and female are useful for this
organism.

Hope this fits,
Jan