Kill the SPAMs!

Richard H. Miller rick at crick.ssctr.bcm.tmc.edu
Fri Sep 19 18:15:53 EST 1997

taguebw at REMOVEwfu.edu wrote:

: In article <5vlk2l$i6f$1 at oravannahka.Helsinki.FI>, Dag Stenberg
: <stenberg at cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:

: > Seeing that some days the complete content of bionet.general consists of
: > spam, whereas other newsgroups I frequent all have less than 50% spam
: > content, it came to me: does the word "general" attract especially many
: > spammers? What would be better: change of name or moderated group?
: >
: > Dag STenberg

: This may be true: there are a number of city specific ng's that use
: "general"; i.e., the baltimore newgroup is ba.general. The name may be
: part of the problem with spam in this group.

The name probably is but the location (early in the alphabit is more). I
also wonder if any of the spam killers are scanning bionet for spam. Someone
might drop a line (with one of the spams) to new.admin.net-abuse.usenet and
suggest that the spam killers include this hierarchy in their activities.
They currently do handle most of the local hierarchies

rick