Question: Blood (serum) clotting-Help

Laurie Davison ldavison at pop.uky.edu
Wed Apr 15 18:07:00 EST 1998

Jay,
   Thanks for the response! Actually, my employer doesn't seem to care
for vacutainer tubes (not sure why...), so we collect into oven-cleaned
glass tubes or larger sterile glass vials if we're working in large
quantities. The clotting of the red cell fraction occurs rapidly enough.
The trouble is that the serum fraction seems to nearly solidify such that
"pouring it off" the next morning yeilds very little return. Honestly,
I've never seen anything like it! I've worked with cattle, dogs, cats,
raccoons... and the only remotely similar problem I've run accross was
with opposums, whose blood clots so quickly that the needle clogs before
you can get a decent sample!:)

-Laurie-