DEPC

Andrew Warkman awarkman at julian.uwo.ca
Tue Apr 21 08:49:54 EST 1998

In article <353BEE01.2652F33 at gaebyok.wonkwang.ac.kr>, skpark at gaebyok.wonkwang.ac.kr wrote:
>Dear Everyone:
>
>Sigma's reagent catalog saids that DEPC, usually used as RNase
>inhibitor, is hydrolyzed to ethanol and CO2. Then, how fast does it
>hydrolyze? If it works as the inhibitor, I think it must have time for
>binding to RNase. And what's the meaning of DEPC water? Does it means
>the water that inhibit RNase if I treat, or that has no active RNase?
>And how much toxic is it? I appreciated on any reply. Thanks.

DEPC is broken down to CO2 and H2O after autoclaving

Time for binding RNases: it is common practice to add 0.1% v/v DEPC to water,
let it stir overnight, then autoclave it in the morning.  After autoclaving
the water may still have a "bubble gum" scent. This is now DEPC treated water
with no active RNAses but RNases can still be reintroduced since the DEPC is
no longer present/active

DEPC is VERY TOXIC and should be added to any solutions in a proper
fumehood!!!