graduate student position

mastewar at badlands.nodak.edu mastewar at badlands.nodak.edu
Sat Apr 25 10:52:50 EST 1998

Graduate Student Position Opening in Cell, Molecular and Developmental Biology
for fall, 1998 or January, 1999.

A funded graduate student position, including full tuition waiver, is open in
my laboratory beginning in fall, 1998 or January 1999.  We offer graduate
programs leading to the Ph.D. in Zoology
http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/zoology/
or in Cellular and Molecular Biology
http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/instruct/mcclean/ag_www/grad_cmb.htm
 We also have a Masters degree program in Zoology.

Current projects in my laboratory involve investigation of the Drosophila p70
S6 kinase in oogenesis, development and investigation of the signal
transduction pathway leading to p70 S6 kinase activation (see Stewart et al.,
1996, PNAS, 93:10791-10796).  (Also see
http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndsu/mastewar/).  The mammalian p70 S6 kinase is
thought to be involved in regulating the translation of a specific class of
mRNAs encoding products required for cell growth and translation.  Consistent
with a role for this kinase in regulating translation, mutations in the
Drosophila p70 S6 kinase disrupt oogenesis and cause a Minute-like phenotype,
representing the first reported non-ribosomal protein Minute.  We are using
clonal analysis of hypomorphic and null alleles to determine the tissue
requirements of this kinase.  A second project involves genetic screens for
components of the S6 kinase signaling pathway.

If you know of a student interested in Drosophila genetics and development,
cell biology and cell signaling, and considering graduate school, please pass
this announcement on to them.  Information concerning how to contact me is
below.

Mary Stewart
Dept. of Zoology
Stevens Hall