HELP - Lipophilic drugs and Retention Characteristics

narconon narconon at HIT.NET
Sun Apr 26 22:43:20 EST 1998

Hi,

My question regards drugs (primarily psychotropics). It is my understanding
that many types of drugs can become bound to lipids, either within
adipocytes or somehow to lipid membranes. I am a chemical dependency
counselor and there is a theory that some drug cravings are caused by
re-release of these bound drug residues into the bloodstream when the
plasma levels of these drugs (such as cocaine or heroin) fall beyond a
certain level.

Can anyone give me a good explanation of this binding process and details
on it? Does anyone know of research being done in this area?

Thanks,
Larry Lewyn