research study on biology major

lks at aosi.com lks at aosi.com
Thu Apr 30 10:52:39 EST 1998

What is it really like to be in a biology major?  Or another science
major?  What makes it different from other majors, OTHER THAN the expected
career outcomes?  When students are thinking about choosing or changing a
major, what should they know about the ones they're considering?

Educational Testing Service is conducting a research study of the
characteristics of college majors.  If you have experience with a two-year,
four-year, or certification program -- perhaps as an instructor, departmental
administrator, or academic advisor -- you can help this study by completing a
survey.  Perhaps you can also give the survey to one or more other people on
campus whose expertise would be relevant -- not necessarily all biology
majors.

You can complete the survey instrument either of two ways:

(1) Complete the on-line version of the survey by following the link at
http://www.ets.org/research/majintro.html

(2) Go to the same Web page and follow the link to download a copy of the
survey.  Then print it, complete the paper copy, and fax it to me, Laurence
Shatkin, at 609-497-6025, or mail it to me at Mail Stop 18-R, Educational
Testing Service, Princeton, NJ 08541.

You may duplicate this survey instrument and use it to conduct research on
majors for your own purposes.  However, it is copyrighted by ETS, so first
complete the ETS Permissions Request Form -- Research, which is linked to the
Web page referred to above.  I would also appreciate your sharing your
findings with me.

The data-gathering will be concluded by the end of May 1998, and the results
will be compiled in June.  I will present a summary of my findings at the
October 1998 conference of NACADA, and on the ETS Research Web pages
(http://www.ets.org/research).

If you have any questions, please send e-mail to me directly at
lshatkin at ets.org, or phone me at 609-734-5868.

Laurence Shatkin
Development Scientist
Educational Testing Service

(If your newsreader supports HTML, you can <A
HREF="http://www.ets.org/research/majintro.html">jump right to the
survey</A>.)