calif. burrowing mammals

salisch salisch at
Fri Aug 7 13:54:46 EST 1998

	I am a graduate student in geography at the University of Southern
California.  My thesis research concerns the structural integrity of
levees in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta region of California.  My
specific concern is the potential undermining of the levee system by the
burrowing of small mammals including beavers, mink, pocket gophers,
rabbits, ground squirrels, etc.  I am seeking information on the burrowing
habbits of these animals, especially with regard to the
sizes/configurations/etc. of their burrows as well as their
populations/distributions.  Should you have any information relevant to my
study please contact me either through the news group or directly at
salisch at  Any assistance will be most appreciated.

						Roger Salisch