Measles vaccine?

Jay Mone' jmone at MARAUDER.MILLERSV.EDU
Thu Aug 13 10:31:54 EST 1998

PJH,
Measlesvirus for vaccination is currently grown in embryonated chicken
eggs.  Influenzavirus is grown in much the same way, except that the
influenza vaccine is a killed virus preparation.  There has been no
evidence, circumstantial or otherwise, to suggest that other viruses
capable of infecting humans and causing disease, may lurk in the live
measles vaccine, although one can never be sure.  However, we have
much experience with the measles vaccine with no indication of a
problem of this type.
Concerning the polio/AIDS thing...The only link between the first
African OPV campaigns and the appearance of AIDS is that of timing.
The first confirmed serologic evidence for HIV infection in humans
comes from samples of blood collected in Africa in the early fifties,
around the same time as the OPV campaigns. It is very likely that HIV
has been in the human population for longer than that, but we don't
have much in the way of materials to search for evidence of earlier
infection.

Jay M.