Medicine's Ten Greatest Discoveries

T.D. Laing tdlaing at
Thu Aug 27 08:32:18 EST 1998

In article <35e48d82.1121898 at>,
mike.conrad at wrote:

> In November, Yale University Press will publish
> "Medicine's Ten Greatest Discoveries", as written by
> Gerald W. Friedland and Meyer Friedman.

It's too bad only 10 could be listed.  I would certainly have included
Ignaz Semmelweiss (washing hands between patients), Florence Nightingale
(clean nursing conditions) and Joseph Lister (asepsis during surgery)
greatly reduced mortality from post-partum and post-operative infections.

T.D. Laing
tdlaing at

Remove "nospam" from my e-mail address in the header to reply.

All the standard disclaimers apply.