pI distribution of E.coli cell extracts

Bernard P. Murray, PhD bpmurray*STUFFER* at socrates.ucsf.edu
Fri Dec 11 16:46:13 EST 1998

In article <74qgqm$ens$1 at news.kren.nm.kr>, "Dae-Hyuk Kweon"
<kdhbravo at plaza.snu.ac.kr> wrote:

> I think almost all proteins in E.coli have their own pI between 4-10.
> But there will an exceptions.
> I have 2D PAGE graph between 4-8.
> I want to know the protein distribution curve of E. coli cell extract.
> (pI versus density(regardless of kinds)).
> What proportion of proteins of E.coli cell extracts will be exist above pI 8
> ?
> Thank you.

If you want a comprehensive but more theoretical answer
and you have the computing resources you could predict
the pI for each of the E.coli ORF protein sequences
from the total K12 genome and work out the proportions
from there.  The pI prediction (and it is just a prediction)
is fairly trivial so all you need is the disk space.
If I have room on my Linux box I'll give it a try over
the weekend.
     Maybe someone has a "real" answer...
          Bernard
--